Saturday, March 21, 2009

Debo/quiero aprender otro idioma

I spent pretty much the whole day with my friend's family recently. It was her wedding day and she asked me to help out. It was exhausting, yet fun. Her family is also Mexican. They're thoroughly American, but a significant portion of the day's conversation was in Spanish. I wasn't the only non-family there but I was pretty much the only who couldn't conversate in Spanish. I never felt left out and by the end of the day my speaking cadence had changed to somewhat more match theirs. At the same time I really felt that I should be able to speak Spanish. Both my parents speak Spanish fluently and I've always felt a little gypped that they didn't teach me. In high school I chose to take French, parce que je voulais être différente. A little of it has stuck with me, but really I only know the basics, can read it a bit, and know how to pronounce things. I guess I passed up on a chance there without even knowing what I was missing. I also believe I really took for granted that I would learn a language on my mission, but of course I was sent to England. So here I am with little multilingual experience, surrounded by friends and family with multiple language skills, and not equally equipped. I maybe haven't had as great a drive as some or the forced opportunity, but I have the capability I believe. I've certainly thought about it, but haven't acted upon it. Or known how really.

Besides picking up Spanish or getting back into French


Θα ήθελα πολύ να μάθουν ελληνικά.
كما أنني فكرت في تعلم اللغة العربية أو الفارسية
या मैं हिंदी या उर्दू सीख सकते हैं

I should probably stick with a Romantic language at first, but it would be really cool to learn another alphabet. For now I don't see any big changes I could make, but it will always be on my mind. Eventually I'll need to find a way to make some big moves on this. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

(See the Google Translate link to the right if you can't read Spanish, French, or the other three languages. Yes I know what they are, but I'm not telling you.)

No comments: