Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Feasting

This took longer to get up than it should have.

«You getting lazy?»


I'll always be a little lazy. Hopefully it was just the frustrations of life...
Anyway, this last weekend was General Conference, and I love General Conference! I'm not sure if I can articulate all the exact reasons. Is just the change in my weekend pattern once every six months? Or having a bit of a break from my Sunday responsibilities?

«Or not having to wear a white shirt and tie and getting to wear some color?»

No, it's more than that.
Starting in high school I began trying to attend all the sessions of Conference. Was it because I got make up credit for seminary? Maybe a little (probably a lot) at first, but carried over to after high school. Even in my first year college I made a good effort to go to them all. I couldn't always make all the sessions, like in high school, due to Saturday commitments, but I tried.

«So not just the extra credit incentive either.»

Nope, that doesn't explain it.
Then on my mission in England, General Conference was like Christmas. It could have just been that it was a like a
little holiday for us, but that still doesn't quite capture it I think. What I'm trying to get at is that is something more to be gained from Conference beyond just the break of routine. At Conference we get to here from the leaders of the Church. They speak to us about what is important and pertinent to us right now, today. We get specific guidance from men and women who are called of God to direct, warn, counsel, and teach us. Most everyone who chooses to watch Conference understands this idea, I think. It's pretty easy, once you have a testimony in and of the living prophets and apostles, to listen to what they say and know that this instruction is for us today, from God through His chosen vessels.

«That's it then...»


Well, it is all good and true, but at the same time I see another level yet.
During Conference is one of the few times where I desire to and purposely take notes. Now, it's not just because I want to remember what the speakers say, because the talks are available in many formats immediately following Conference. The Spirit can be extremely strong during conference and I've been taught and I believe that conferences are times of revelation, personal revelation. I always have a favorite talk or speaker, or feel like I'm being spoken to personally. On top of that I know that I can and do get impressions, thoughts, and inspirations during Conference that are just for me. I can get answers and direction from God at anytime. I know that. But Conference provides a special time where that direction comes easier. I can prepare myself for it and be more ready to receive. This is what I think excites me: knowing that Conference is one of those times where, if I'm ready, I can get the directions, rejuvenation, and answers I want and need. It will always be one of my favorite times.

No comments: