Friday, September 4, 2009

Full Moon Rising



The flaming vermilion sun was in my rear view mirror. In the far distance the mountains I knew lay before me were not visible due to bluish mists and clouds. Just above where the mountains should have been I could see the faint outline of the moon. As it slowly rose, it caught and reflected more light. It was a full moon. With the Bonneville Salt Flats to either side and the mountains obscured, this full moon was the most prominent character in my field of vision. If paganism were my religion, the moon would probably my god of choice. It has always appealed to me; especially a full moon. Something about how when full, it looks complete. It doesn't produce it's own light, but still has a glory all its own and can almost completely brighten the night time. And it brings comfort to me, because regardless of where you are in this world the moon is the same. People separated by thousands of miles can see the same moon.


As I drove east on I-80 the full moon continued to rise on it white and
cerulean background. The sun set in the sanguine sky, its light painting the atmosphere even after it had gone. I felt juxtaposed: between colors, between celestial bodies, between my life I was leaving and my life to come. With time the colors faded and the darkness of night overcame, but the full moon boldly shone in the heavens. I was taking steps into the dark, hoping, praying where I was going was where was needed, belonged. Action and change were all I knew for sure. With the full moon lighting my way, seemingly marking my path and destination, I felt oddly comforted. My way was guarded. I was secure. The end was known and this...

just another stop on my journey home.

2 comments:

Alli said...

Now I will think of you when I see the moon.

Way to take over a celestial body of light and matter.

Also. If I was pagan in religious ideals, I would worship the ocean.

Ryce25 said...

It's funny that you posted that Friday. Friday my mom and I were on the phone looking at the moon and together and she's all the way in Washington. And yes, we sang the songs that illustrate that experience. I'm just discovering blogs, and I really like yours.

A quote that helped me immensely once as I was transitioning to a different phase of life:

"That time is past, and all its aching joys are now no more, and all its dizzy raptures. Not for this faint I, nor mourn nor murmer; other gifts have followed; for such loss, I would believe, abundant recompense."
-William Wordsworth